As a Test Engineer, you will be working closely with both business and technical teams to introduce preventative measures to try and stop defects before they are introduced, as well as utilising your strong exploratory skills expertly to catch issues as the software is developed.
This will include helping to build a culture that accepts that some mistakes and failures are a natural result of being Agile.
The ideal candidate will be an ambitious professional, who is able to teach us a thing or two. You will also have a deep interest in your work and community and would like to help contribute something back.
You will be encouraged and given the opportunity to innovate, experiment with new tools and techniques, participate in hackathons and drive us onto the bleeding edge of the test profession.
This role will include:
- Working with developers to help “shift left” testing activities, encouraging a collaborative owning of quality amongst the entire team.
- Working with colleagues in Product Management and other development teams to analyse requirements, understand how to test features, build technical designs, and contribute to the technical testing strategy.
- Working with other testers to feedback information on what could be done to improve overall quality.
- Collecting data on the quality of software being developed, and turning that into consumable information for stakeholders.
- Helping to build tools and processes that enable others to check the quality of their work quickly and effectively.
- Running checks to ensure we’re taking into account our non-functional requirements, and smashing them.
- Rapidly understanding the context you’re in, and using a range of exploratory techniques to test effectively in a way that keeps pace with an Agile team.
- Actively encouraging and supporting cross team collaboration, by running pair programming and testing sessions with developers and other team members.
- Ensuring that team members are following good testing practices and procedures, including being involved in code reviews to make sure valuable checks are being written.
You’d have these skills:
- Ability to report on and monitor software quality (as defined by the team).
- Ability to rapidly experiment and report your results in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to start testing as early as planning and prioritisation meetings.
- Ability to break down complex software quickly, for rapid learning and testing.
- Excellent ability to question everything, and remain sceptical when others are confident.
- Experience with helping “shift left”.
- An understanding of when to automate a test, and when not to.
- Ability and enthusiasm to adapt to today’s fast-changing technical landscape.
- Preferably some programming experience.
You’d be perfect if:
- You have a strong knowledge and experience of using Agile software development practises, and how best to integrate testing within Agile project teams for max effectiveness.
- You have 2+ years hands-on software testing experience.
- You have experience helping to build an automation framework.
- You are analytically adept and know how to best report on this analysis.
- You have in-depth full-stack knowledge of web technologies and their weaknesses.
- But most of all, you want to try new things and have fun experimenting.
Working at Maru/edr
In return for your hard work, you’ll receive a competitive benefits package and excellent career progression opportunities.